ASTM Type 1 Purified Laboratory Water: Production, Uses and Benefits
AQUAANALYTIC offers a laboratory water purification system from Evoqua, a leader in the industry. Ultra Clear Laboratory Water System including multiple purification stages, reverse osmosis, UV disinfection and deionization for the production of pure laboratory water type 1, 2, 3 according to ASTM standard. Ultra Clear, Protegra, LaboStar laboratory water systems offer a wide range of models to satisfy your water purification needs.
Purified water for ASTM Type 1 laboratory use is produced through a multi-stage purification process to ensure it meets the stringent requirements outlined by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) for Type 1 water. The production process typically includes the following steps:
- Pre-Treatment: Raw water from a suitable source, such as tap water or well water, undergoes initial pre-treatment steps. These steps may involve filtration to remove large particles and sediment, as well as the removal of chlorine and other organic contaminants.
- Reverse Osmosis (RO): The pre-treated water is then subjected to reverse osmosis, a membrane-based separation process. RO removes a majority of dissolved salts, minerals, and other impurities, resulting in water of higher purity.
- Deionization (DI): The water from the RO process is further processed through deionization, which involves passing it through ion exchange resins to remove remaining ions, resulting in extremely low levels of conductivity.
- UV Treatment: Ultraviolet (UV) treatment is often used to disinfect the water and neutralize any remaining microorganisms.
- Final Filtration: The water may undergo final filtration, which includes sub-micron filtration or other advanced techniques to remove any remaining particulate matter or contaminants.
- Quality Control: Throughout the production process, various quality control measures are implemented to ensure that the water meets the stringent ASTM Type 1 specifications. This involves monitoring parameters such as resistivity, conductivity, total organic carbon (TOC), and microbial content.
- Purified water of ASTM Type 1 quality is essential for various laboratory applications, especially those that require a high degree of water purity to prevent interference with sensitive analytical techniques. Some common applications include:
- Analytical Techniques: Type 1 water is used in laboratories for the preparation of reagents, standards, and calibration solutions used in analytical techniques such as chromatography, spectroscopy, and mass spectrometry.
- Cell Culture: For biological and cell culture applications, where any contaminants in water could affect cell viability and experimental outcomes.
- Molecular Biology: DNA and RNA research, PCR (polymerase chain reaction), and other molecular biology techniques require ultra-pure water to prevent contamination.
- Trace Elemental Analysis: Techniques like inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) require water with minimal trace element content.
- HPLC (High-Performance Liquid Chromatography): High-purity water is used in the preparation of mobile phases and sample dilution for HPLC.
Using purified water of ASTM Type 1 quality offers several advantages:
- Accuracy and Reliability: High-purity water ensures accurate and reliable results in analytical experiments and measurements, as the water itself does not introduce contaminants.
- Consistency: Type 1 water guarantees consistent water quality, which is crucial for maintaining reproducibility in experiments.
- Prevention of Interference: Many analytical techniques are sensitive to impurities, so using purified water prevents interference and artifacts in results.
- Cell and Tissue Health: In biological applications, using pure water minimizes the risk of adverse effects on cells and tissues.
- Longevity of Equipment: Purified water reduces the likelihood of scale buildup and corrosion in lab equipment, extending their lifespan.
- Compliance: Laboratories that adhere to ASTM Type 1 water standards can confidently meet regulatory and quality control requirements.
In summary, purified water of ASTM Type 1 quality is a critical resource in laboratories, ensuring accurate experimental outcomes, preventing contamination, and supporting a wide range of sensitive applications.
Contact AQUAANALYTIC’s engineers and we will provide in-depth advice for the right choice of water treatment equipment for your laboratory.
Protegra® OF RO System Laboratory systems for water purification, reverse osmosis and deionization
Ultrapure water for the laboratory UltraClear RO EDI System Evoqua
Evoqua’s Ultra Clear TP ED Ultra Pure Water System for all Your Laboratory Needs
RO EDI Lab Water System Protegra CS Pro