ASTM Type 2 Purified Water for Laboratory: Production, Application, and Advantages
AQUAANALYTIC offers a laboratory water purification system from Evoqua, a leader in the industry. Ultra Clear Laboratory Water System including multiple purification stages, reverse osmosis, UV disinfection and deionization for the production of pure laboratory water type 1, 2, 3 according to ASTM standard. Ultra Clear, Protegra, LaboStar laboratory water systems offer a wide range of models to satisfy your water purification needs.
ASTM Type 2 purified water is a slightly lower grade of water purity compared to Type 1, as defined by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM). It is produced through a series of purification steps that remove impurities to meet the specific requirements of Type 2 water. The production process for ASTM Type 2 purified water typically includes:
- Pre-Treatment: Similar to Type 1 water production, the process begins with pre-treatment steps such as sediment filtration and removal of chlorine and organic contaminants.
- Reverse Osmosis (RO): The pre-treated water undergoes reverse osmosis to remove dissolved salts, minerals, and impurities, producing water with relatively low levels of conductivity.
- Deionization (DI): Type 2 water may also undergo deionization to further reduce the levels of ions and conductivity. However, the standards for Type 2 water allow for slightly higher levels of impurities compared to Type 1.
- Optional Treatments: Depending on the specific laboratory requirements, additional treatments such as UV disinfection or final filtration may be employed.
- Quality Control: Throughout the production process, quality control measures are implemented to ensure that the water meets the ASTM Type 2 specifications. Parameters such as conductivity, resistivity, and microbial content are monitored.
ASTM Type 2 purified water is suitable for a range of laboratory applications that do not require the highest levels of water purity but still demand a certain degree of quality and consistency. Some common applications include:
- Buffer and Reagent Preparation: Type 2 water is often used to prepare buffers, reagents, and solutions for various laboratory experiments.
- General Lab Equipment: It can be used in laboratory equipment like glassware rinsing, autoclaves, and general cleaning where high levels of purity are not critical.
- Media Preparation: For microbiology and cell culture applications where strict purity isn’t necessary.
- Feed Water for Type 1 Systems: In some laboratories, Type 2 water serves as feed water for producing Type 1 water through additional purification steps.
- Heating and Cooling Systems: In facilities, Type 2 water can be used in heating and cooling systems that don’t require the stringent purity levels of Type 1 water.
Using ASTM Type 2 purified water offers several advantages for laboratory applications:
- Cost-Effectiveness: Producing Type 2 water involves less rigorous purification steps compared to Type 1 water, making it more cost-effective while still maintaining acceptable quality for certain applications.
- Sufficient Purity: Type 2 water is suitable for applications where high-purity water is not critical, yet a certain level of water quality is required.
- Flexibility: Laboratories can choose the appropriate water grade based on their specific needs and budget constraints.
- Reduced Equipment Maintenance: Using Type 2 water in equipment like autoclaves and heating/cooling systems can help reduce scaling and deposits, minimizing maintenance requirements.
- Meeting Intermediate Requirements: Type 2 water can be used as an intermediate step in laboratories that have both Type 1 and Type 2 water needs.
- Regulatory Compliance: Laboratories that adhere to ASTM Type 2 water standards can maintain compliance with quality control and regulatory requirements.
In summary, ASTM Type 2 purified water serves as a practical and cost-effective solution for laboratory applications that require a moderate level of water purity while offering advantages such as flexibility, reduced maintenance, and compliance.
Protegra® OF RO System Laboratory systems for water purification, reverse osmosis and deionization
Ultrapure water for the laboratory UltraClear RO EDI System Evoqua
Evoqua’s Ultra Clear TP ED Ultra Pure Water System for all Your Laboratory Needs
RO EDI Lab Water System Protegra CS Pro