Laboratory water treatment, purification
AQUAANALYTIC offers a laboratory water purification system from Evoqua, a leader in the industry. Ultra Clear Laboratory Water System including multiple purification stages, reverse osmosis, UV disinfection and deionization for the production of pure laboratory water type 1, 2, 3 according to ASTM standard. Ultra Clear, Protegra, LaboStar laboratory water systems offer a wide range of models to satisfy your water purification needs.
ASTM Type 3 Purified Water for Laboratory: Production, Application, and Advantages
ASTM Type 3 purified water is a grade of water purity that is suitable for various non-critical laboratory applications. While it is less pure than Type 1 and Type 2 water, it still undergoes a series of purification steps to meet the specific requirements outlined by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM). The production process for ASTM Type 3 purified water typically includes:
- Pre-Treatment: Similar to the processes for Type 1 and Type 2 water, the production starts with pre-treatment steps such as sediment filtration, removal of chlorine, and initial reduction of organic and inorganic contaminants.
- Reverse Osmosis (RO): The pre-treated water undergoes reverse osmosis to remove dissolved minerals, ions, and larger impurities. RO helps reduce the conductivity of the water.
- Optional Deionization (DI): Depending on the specific requirements of the laboratory, Type 3 water might or might not undergo deionization to further lower the levels of ions and conductivity. The standards for Type 3 water allow for higher impurity levels compared to Type 2.
- Optional Treatments: Additional treatments such as carbon filtration or UV disinfection might be used depending on the specific application.
- Quality Control: Regular monitoring of parameters such as conductivity, resistivity, and microbial content ensures that the water meets the ASTM Type 3 specifications.
- ASTM Type 3 purified water is suitable for a range of laboratory applications that do not demand high water purity levels. It is commonly used for:
- Rinsing and Cleaning: Type 3 water can be used for rinsing glassware, equipment, and utensils in the laboratory.
- Non-Critical Experiments: In experiments where the presence of low levels of impurities is acceptable, Type 3 water can be used for preparing non-critical reagents and solutions.
- Autoclaves and Sterilizers: It can be used for the operation of autoclaves and sterilizers where water quality is not a critical factor.
- Feeding Type 1 and 2 Systems: In laboratories with more advanced purification systems, Type 3 water can serve as feed water for producing higher grades of purified water like Type 1 or Type 2.
- Using ASTM Type 3 purified water offers several advantages for laboratory applications that don’t require stringent water purity:
- Cost-Effective: Producing and maintaining Type 3 water is generally less expensive than higher-grade purified water, making it suitable for budget-conscious laboratories.
- Versatility: Type 3 water can fulfill the needs of applications that tolerate a certain level of impurities, offering flexibility in laboratory operations.
- Reduced Maintenance: Using Type 3 water in equipment that does not require high purity can help reduce scaling and maintenance requirements.
- Regulatory Compliance: Laboratories can still maintain compliance with certain quality control and regulatory standards by using ASTM Type 3 water.
- Laboratory Efficiency: For non-critical tasks, Type 3 water can streamline laboratory operations without compromising experimental outcomes.
- Buffer Preparation: It can be used for preparing non-critical buffers and solutions.
In summary, ASTM Type 3 purified water serves as a cost-effective and versatile option for laboratory applications that can tolerate a certain level of impurities. Its advantages include reduced costs, flexibility, and compliance with quality control standards for less critical tasks.
Contact AQUAANALYTIC’s engineers and we will provide in-depth advice for the right choice of water treatment equipment for your laboratory.
Protegra® OF RO System Laboratory systems for water purification, reverse osmosis and deionization
Ultrapure water for the laboratory UltraClear RO EDI System Evoqua
Evoqua’s Ultra Clear TP ED Ultra Pure Water System for all Your Laboratory Needs
RO EDI Lab Water System Protegra CS Pro